TRAI releases "Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report"
August 03, 2012
Source: MM Network
TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) has released the "Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report" for the Quarter ending March 2012. The Report provides a broad perspective of the Telecom Services and presents the key parameters and growth trends for the Telecom Services as well as Cable TV, DTH & Radio Broadcasting services in India for the period January to March 2012, and is compiled on the basis of information furnished by the Service Providers.
The following are the highlights of the Report:
1. The number of telephone subscribers in India increased from 926.53 million at the end of Dec-11 to 951.34 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a growth of 2.68% over the previous quarter as against 2.16% during the QE Dec-11. This reflects year-on-year (Y-O-Y) growth of 12.41% over the same quarter of last year. The overall Tele-density in India has reached 78.66 as on 31st March, 2012.
2. Subscription in Urban Areas grew from 611.19 million at the end of Dec-11 to 620.52 million at the end of Mar-12, taking the Urban Teledensity from 167.85 to 169.55. Rural subscription increased from 315.33 million to 330.82 million, and the Rural Teledensity increased from 37.48 to 39.22. Share of Rural areas in total subscription has increased from 34.03% at the end of Dec-11 to 34.77% at the end of Mar-12.
3. About 37.61% of the total net additions have been in Urban areas as compared to 49.87% in the previous quarter. Rural subscription growth rate increased from 3.22% in QE Dec-11 to 4.91% in QE Mar-12, and Urban subscription growth rate declined from 1.63% in QE Dec-11 to 1.53% in QE Mar-12.
4. With 25.33 million net additions during the quarter, total wireless (GSM + CDMA) subscriber base registered a growth of 2.83% over the previous quarter and increased from 893.84 million at the end of Dec-11 to 919.17 million at the end of Mar-12.
5. Wireline subscriber base further declined from 32.69 million at the end of Dec-11 to 32.17 million at the end of Mar-12, bringing down the wireline Teledensity from 2.71 at the end of Dec-11 to 2.66 at the end of Mar-12.
6. Internet subscribers increased from 22.39 million at the end of Dec-11 to 22.86 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a quarterly growth rate of 2.10%. Top 10 ISPs together hold 94.94% of the total Internet subscriber base.
7. Number of Broadband subscribers increased from 13.35 million at the end of Dec-11 to 13.81 million at the end of Mar-12, registering a quarterly growth of 3.44% and Y-O-Y growth of 16.18%.
8. Share of Broadband subscription in total Internet subscription decreased from 59.6% at the end of Dec-11 to 60.4% at the end of Mar-12. 85% of the Broadband subscribers are using Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) technology.
9. At the end of Mar-12, total number of permitted private satellite TV channels registered with Ministry of I&B, as obtained from its website, is 831. There are 168 pay TV channels in existence, as reported by 26 broadcasters/their distributors, as on QE Mar-12.
10. Apart from All India Radio, Prasar Bharti - a public broadcaster, there are 245 private FM Radio stations in operation at the end of Mar-12.
11. Besides the free DTH service of Doordarshan, there are 6 private DTH licensees, offering their services to the DTH subscribers. As on 31.03.2012, their reported subscriber base is 46.25 million.
12. Number of Set Top Boxes (STBs) installed in CAS notified areas of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai increased from 8,53,737 at the end of Dec-11 to 9,05,343 at the end of Mar-12.
The complete Report is available on TRAI's website www.trai.gov.in.